Saturday, February 14, 2009

Queen of Cups


Friday morning before work, I finished my Rockin' Sock Club socks. The pattern is actually named Queen of Beads, but as I was knitting them, I was always reminded of the Queen of Cups from tarot decks. I suppose it's because of the colour (since Cups are the water suit) and the stitch pattern (since the lattice reminds me of royal garb) and also the beads (because a beaded sock seems so impractical and extravagant.)

The socks actually came together without a hitch -- the pattern was easy enough yet interesting; the beads are fun and flashy. The only anxiety came as I neared the finish and began to worry that I was going to run out of yarn. I finished them with about 13 metres left over. Yikes.

Whenever I see a photo of a completed project that isn't being modelled, I always worry that it fits poorly and that's why the knitter doesn't want to show it off while wearing it. Lest you think that about the socks, here is a half-arsed photo of my feet in them.
They are totally cozy and warm and squishy and fit very well. I used a needle one size up for the leg (i.e. US2) and then switched down (to US1) at the heel flap and foot. It worked perfectly: the leg isn't too tight and the foot is nice and snug.

Another happy knitter.

No comments: