Wednesday, February 11, 2009

On the Road to a Diamond Scarf

Warning: Weaving jargon abounds. Feel free to ask, if you really want to know.

I had two options I wanted to pursue for the personal project in my weaving class. One of them was a set of dishtowels using poppy red and sky blue cotton in a huck weave. The other was a scarf in teal and magenta bamboo. My instructor was hesitant at my colour selection for the towels -- they are a bit outside the norm for weavers, I think, and she was anxious about how they would play off one another, since they are a very pure red and blue. (Not to get, like, way into colour theory, but the teal and magenta are more greyed and thus won't make your eyes bleed when you look at them together.) While I do trust her judgement, since she has a lot more expertise with weaving than I do, I still think I'll make the towels for myself, once I get a loom all my own. It is, after all, the only way to learn which colours will work together when woven, and which won't.

In the meantime, I am going to make the bamboo scarf.
If you've never felt it, pure bamboo yarn tends to feel cool and slick and buttery in the hand, and is quite heavy. The scarf should drape like a dream, assuming I don't weave it too tight. Monday in class we did all the weaving math and made our warps. Tonight I finally took the plunge and sleyed the reed. Step One of dressing the loom is complete. I am doing the warp in teal and the weft in magenta. You can see, through the dents in the reed, the drawdown of the design I'm going to use. It is a weird little twill weave, that will repeat seven times across the width of the scarf and will ultimately make jaggedy little diamonds. Complex? Yes. But when have you ever known me to do something easy?

No comments: