Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Slip Jig Socks

Well, I know I've been a bad monkey and haven't been posting very much -- I finished my Aeolian Shawl, like, a week ago, but haven't been able to coordinate with my photographer to get some photos. Today I finished my Slip Jig socks, and I can manage photos of those, myself, so here we are.

This yarn and pattern come from the second Rockin' Sock Club kit of 2010. Again, there were two pattern options with the yarn, and these socks were the ones that cried out to me. A very simple pattern to knit (and to memorize) -- but that doesn't mean that there weren't a couple of bumps in the road.

I chose the large size, of course (because of my much-bemoaned amply-sized feet) and the leg is nice and roomy. The foot, however, turned out too large. As I mentioned previously, I had to rip it back to the heel flap and make the heel flap shorter, then do a handful of decreases to make the gusset circumference a bit smaller. After that, they fit pretty good. If I did these socks again, I would probably do a few decreases in the leg portion, just before the gusset, to go from a Large to a Medium. Then I would knit the foot in the smaller size.

At the toe, I moved the toe decreases one stitch over -- the original pattern has the decreases in the stitch next to the little cable pattern. I liked the look better when it was the cable itself that ate up the stitches next to it. It was a little fiddly (particularly on the slipped-stitch rounds) but I think it is more aesthetically pleasing.

If you are worried that I've finished all my knitting projects, don't. I have two more on the go that I haven't even gotten around to showing off, yet.

No comments: