Well, I took a few days to complete the "day's work" I had left on the quilt top, but it's all said and done, now... Here she is, in all her glory:
As always, I was surprised and delighted at every turn -- sewing the hexagons together in their final arrangement always sharpens and focuses the whole design. I had been somewhat concerned that it was just a big crazy blob of hexagons, but it really came together and confirmed my instincts on arrangement. (Though admittedly, there are a couple that I would love to shift around to perfect things -- good thing I'm not a perfectionist or I'd probably pull out the seam-ripper and get to work.) Then I started sewing on the borders and thought they were going to be a disaster, and detract from the whole thing... but again, my instincts were confirmed, and it turned out really nice, I think.
I have named it Requiem, partly because of the dark fabrics lending it a funereal tone, and partly because I was listening to Mozart's Requiem on a loop for most of the making of it. (80's pop for the rest, but I can't really name it after Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance With Somebody, can I.)
So that's probably all you'll see of her for a while -- my quilting frame is on the way (yay birthdays!) but it will be months until I have the hand-quilting finished (with the last quilt I made, I really pushed myself to finish it as quickly as possible, and it took a month or two to complete; this one I plan to do more leisurely, so it will likely be end of summer or autumn before I get to the finish line.)
For the record, the backing fabric will be a nice mossy green, and the binding will be a lovely blue, which hopefully will bring out the blues of the quilt.
I'm really happy with this one, but now I have to get back to my knitting...
Plattsburgh Pullover - a happy ending
3 days ago