Thursday, January 17, 2013

Striation Socks

The last installment of Cookie A's 2012 sock club included some lovely dark purple cashmere-blend sock yarn from Stricken Smitten.  Of the two patterns offered, the pattern I chose was an open lace diamond design.  I started with the Large size, but quickly realized that the lace pattern has so much stretch to it that I ripped them back and restarted with the Medium.  It feels so good for a girl with huge hobbit feet to make a pair of size Medium socks!  They knit up very quickly (in just two days for the second sock) and fit perfectly.

I have made a difficult decision this year to not join the sock club again.  I really loved doing it for the last two years, maybe even more than I loved the Blue Moon Fiber Arts sock club the two years prior, but I think it's time for me to start making a dent in the sock yarn I already have, rather than continuing to add to it.  I'm currently working on making a bunch of stockingette socks from the variegated yarns I have left over from years past, and I'm also mentally pairing up fancier designs with the semisolids I've been buying more recently.  It's going to be a good year for socks.

No comments: