Thursday, May 17, 2012

Autumn for Spring

A little while ago, I was placing an order with Sweet Georgia Yarns, for a couple of designs I've been cooking up in my head.  I picked a lovely bright blue sock yarn, first, and then decided to try her BFL sock in solid grey, for another project.  Somehow I managed to screw up the order, and I accidentally ordered the BFL in a variegated colourway called Autumn Flame.  I didn't notice the error in the confirmation of the order, nor in the confirmation of the shipment, but only when I got an email that they'd successfully delivered it.  Sigh.  I found my peace with the colourway, and was actually so excited to try knitting with the sheepy BFL that I decided to make a pair of stockingette socks with it, right away.

It turns out that using 2.25 mm needles for my size of socks (68 stitches around) makes the variegation of the yarn turn into the most perfect little stripes.  Imagine my happiness.  I have seen other projects in this colourway end up with all sorts of pooling or flashing, but I got stripes.  Goes to show that even mistakes can turn into blessings.

No comments: