Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tantalizing Tanis Socks

As promised, a completed pair of socks.

From a pattern by Cat Bordhi: Bartholomew's Tantalizing Socks (ravelry), knit from Tanis Fiber Arts' blue label sock yarn.

The linen stitch pattern was a bit tiresome by the end of the second sock, though it really wasn't any more work than a basic ribbing would have been. It was actually a fairly simple sock to knit, especially because I had worked from Cat's book before, so I understood some aspects of the construction better, this time.

You might be able to tell from the photo that there is a vertical strip of linen stitch coming down from the cuff, that grows wider to cover the whole instep of the sock. Then you knit an underheel and a couple of inches of foot and then a star toe. I am happy to report that it's a nice tall sock, too. While I was knitting the first one I kept thinking I couldn't possibly have enough yarn for a sock this tall, with my long wide feet to consider. After I finished the first sock, I weighed the sock and the remaining yarn to reassure myself that I could finish both. I was happy to find that I did have enough, so I wouldn't have to have two-coloured toes. I think it may have to do with the linen stitch using less yarn than stockingette would have. Also, I think the yarn is perfect for this sort of linen stitch, as it blurs the shades together a bit and softens the variegation.

More socks to come...

No comments: