Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Welcome to the Nut House

I have finished the yoke sweater, and it looks great, but my photographer and I are on different schedules, so the big reveal will have to wait. In lieu of that, here is a picture of some nuts.


There are a lot of cool blogs on green living out there, and the Simple Green Frugal Co-op is a great place to find a lot of information, in a very organized format. Just scroll down and check out the list of topics on the sidebar on the right hand side of the website. There are even a few posts about cheese making (which I am so excited to try.)

Somehow I stumbled upon this post on making Candied Nuts, and I had to try it. I couldn't locate my cardamom (could I possibly have used it all up? Yes.) so I used cinnamon and a bit of cloves, this time around, and coated a nice sized bowl of fresh raw walnuts. So good. (I know a lot of you out there don't like walnuts, but if you've only had the cruddy rancid ones you buy at conventional grocery stores, you really haven't experienced the beauty of a lovely raw walnut bought out of a refrigerated bulk bin. Glorious.)

They turned out pretty nice, although I have to admit that roasting the walnuts took away some of that nice raw flavour that I love. I should also note that they are just barely sweet, and that if you are used to a more sugary-coated nut, you would probably want to take their suggestion to increase the sugar in the recipe.

Verdict: yum.

No comments: